eXTReMe Tracker

Saturday, May 07, 2005

“Turn on the fire-hydrant and start drinking…”

Well pre-departure training is pretty much over and I leave toronto in about 5 hours. Wow I can't belive that this is really happening.

The whole pre-departure training was an eye opener. I was definitely glad to see that many of the other volunteers were facing the same issues and questions that I had. We started the days at 9am with some lectures and team building workshops then moved on to some goals from EWB and our hopes and fears. We played some interesting communications games, a scavenger hunt, and further developed the “Ghanaian” fertility dance. This is definitely a dance move that is going to get a few interested onlookers if you plan on busting it out at your local night club.

Training was intense and we sometimes continued well into the night. The head office staff was amazing and I found that they really made a connection with everyone. I am definetely indebt to them for there commitment and support. Information was coming at you fast and furious and in the words of Russ “it will be like trying to drink out of a fire-hydrant just try and get as much info down as possible”. It has started out as a great experience to make some good connections with the other overseas volunteers (OVs) and really focus on the challenge ahead. It was humbling to be in the same room with some truly incredible people and I feel really priviledges to have met and learned so much from all of them.

Last night we had a going away BBQ and we sent our temporary good byes to everyone. I look forward to hearing from everyone and seeing them when they get back.

I guess my next post will be from Ghana. I hope everyone is well, take care and God Bless,

Jason

5 Comments:

At May 09, 2005 10:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

i am glad that you are excited for your trip. i have a bag of clothes that you have left behind, what exactly did you bring with you? i hope the flight was alright. keep in touch and i love reading your posts.
Erin xo

 
At May 09, 2005 8:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,

It was really cool to see you last week in Toronto. I am SUPER excited about your 'voyage'. I am humbled and empowered by your commitment for such a journey and hope one day we can both exchange EWB stories!

LOoking forward to the posts.... :-)

-asier

 
At May 09, 2005 8:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,
Wow, I was taken aback by your comments so far... I guess it's amazing how much more there is to learn from someone I have known for the past 23/24 years.
I'm really excited for you as you go on this journey of a lifetime. I am certain that you will come back armed with lots of experiences and lessons to share.. and I can hardly wait.
I am looking forward to seeing Ghana through your eyes, and words, and will be back often.
Take care Jay,
and God Bless!
Love Laura

 
At May 09, 2005 9:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jason, This is amazing,being able to travel with you on your journey.Harryand I will be looking forward to all of your cmments.You are in our thoughts daily.EWB should check out mexico.Montazuma got us good.Icimbed the pyramid at chetzanitsa!!!!! we will watch over Erin &maggie until you return.God bless love wendyxoxo

 
At May 09, 2005 10:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good time Jason! Glad to see that you set up the blog...

-Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home