eXTReMe Tracker

Sunday, May 22, 2005

“Bicycles and …”

Well I nearly got flattened by a bicycle today.

When I say flatten I mean flattened, crushed or squashed. It wouldn’t have been because of the speed, most bicycles only have one gear and anyways it is too hot to exert too much energy on speed. Nor would the weight of the driver have been the issue he couldn’t have weighed more than 140 pounds. What would have done the job was the 16 foot plank of lumber the young man was balancing on his head as he weaved his cycle through traffic and pedestrians down the street. I imagine he was off to some construction project bringing the much awaited 2” x 8” x 16 foot piece of wood required. I should have been more aware but luckily he swerved and was on his way without missing a beat. I know I have mentioned the plethora of bicycles in Tamale however I have neglected to add that these are not simply modes of travel but also a means of transport. I’ll try and recall everything I’ve seen atop a bicycle. First though most bikes have both a front and rear basket in order to carry goods on.

So here we go:

Bicycle + driver

Bicycle + driver + one passenger sitting side saddle on back rack

Bicycle + driver + one passenger on back rack + one passenger on seat

Bicycle + driver + 16 foot piece of wood on head

Bicycle + driver + 8 foot long bundle of wood strapped perpendicular to direction of travel on back rack

Bicycle + driver + one goat

Bicycle + driver + a chicken in the front basket

Bicycle + driver + a full cow hide draped over the back rack

Bicycle + driver + bail of thatching straw

Bicycle + driver + two younger goats in a basket on rear rack

I will add to the list as I can remember and see new combinations. Hopefully I could even capture some if this on film. We’ll see.

Take care and God Bless,
Jason

6 Comments:

At May 25, 2005 10:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason,

I don't know if you can take questions, but in a previous post you mentioned that the other westerner's were living in resort type compounds. How do they react when you tell them how you're living?

Those mangos must be amazing! My family is a little crazy about them (we have fights at the dinner table for the biggest, ripest, last one etc). Mango season just started here, and I can't even imagine how much better they taste straight from the orchard instead from over the Atlantic/continent.

Dan

 
At May 25, 2005 10:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jay

I'm here with Erin and she is just about to go to work. Your journal is so interesting and it sounds like an amazing experience. Keep writting more entries. Be safe and come home soon. We all miss you especially your beatiful wife.
God Bless,
Lisa

 
At May 26, 2005 9:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I am really amazed with all this information that you are sharing with us. Watch out for those bikes!
God bless,
love mom

 
At May 27, 2005 6:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
I can't stop laughing from your last report! It's amazing what the norm is for other cultures. We are so spoiled here with what we have and what our expectations of neccesities are.
It sounds like you are keeping well and still enjoying your adventure. Have your tried anything new in the menu department? You take care and I'll keep watching for a new entry.
God Bless,
Aunt Pam

 
At May 27, 2005 8:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I just read through your entire group of stories and it sounds like quite an adventure so far. Your mentions about the culture and lifestyle of Ghanaians are fascinating. I’m glad to hear that the people are taking to you well and that you can have some fun with the local children.
I never knew we had the same interest in storms. I wish I could have been there on the roof top in Tamale with you watching the lightning. There often are too many trees or buildings in the way to get a really good glimpse of a storm here in Canada.
I’m looking forward to hearing what kind of work you will be performing to help the locals.
Take care Jason and continue to enjoy the experience.

Kevin A

 
At June 05, 2005 3:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason, Just caught up on your adventures, Pam mailed us the web site, so pleased she did as this is fascinating. Can't wait for the next instalments. Keep up the good work!

Love Lorraine (Wendy & Pams Cousin in England)Thought I had better put that so you know who's mailing!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home