eXTReMe Tracker

Friday, May 27, 2005

“Saboba…”

“Saboba…”

Well at first I thought it was rain. I have moved to the Saboba/Cherponi District temporarily to visit some of the stakeholders here and compare with what is happening in the West Mamprusi District. Saboba is in the eastern part of the country and very near the Togo border. Compared to Wale Wale it is quite small. The town is really just one intersection however I am finding that I like this small town environment more and more. I was staying at the District Assemblies guest house which is at the edge of town. I would have much rather preferred to stay at place closer to the town centre but it was difficult to refuse their accommodations as they were allowing us to stay there without charge. The building was nice but rather secluded. Right after night fall I heard what I thought was the sound of rain falling on the tin roof. Oddly enough it didn’t seem any cooler as it usually does right before it rains. Also I didn’t hear any thunder or see any lightning. I thought I would go out and check this “rain” out. First I drew back the curtains and looked through the window only to take a quick step back and shut the drapes. It was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s Birds or that killer bee movie in the eighties, there were thousands of bugs flying around the windows apparently trying to get in. What at one point I thought was the sound of rain falling was in fact the impact of hundreds of bugs up against the tin roof and windows. The bugs were so thick that it was actually difficult to see out into the night. After the initial heebie-jeebies I figured I have to go out and figure this out.

So out through the back door I went. I was glad to discover that these “bugs” were in fact termites and didn’t bite. They were about as thick as a pencil and about 2 cm long. There wings were huge and the hum of them buzzing through the air was kind of spooky. I can’t emphasize enough the shear number as there were literally tens of thousands of the creatures. I later discovered that this usually happens during the beginning of the rainy season as the termites grow wings and find new places to eat wood I guess. This was really one of those “wow I am actually in Africa” moments. The bugs carried on buzzing about for a few hours. Soon they dropped their wings and there were now thousands of wings on the ground everywhere you looked and bugs crawling around. I imagine the many lizards must have loved this time of year and were filling their bellies. The morning was even weirder as nearly every actual termite was no where to be seen however they left a river of expelled wings where they once were. If it were not for the sound of the “rain” it would be really interesting to try and figure out where these piles of insect wings had come from. During the day I made contact with some NGOs working on the project and set up some appointments to meet with them and visit some communities for next week. As for now I am back to Tamale to enjoy the week and prepare for another hectic week in the “field” to visit communities.

Take Care and God Bless,

Jason


Oh yeah I must apologize for not getting back to all the comments everyone has made to my blog. It is difficult for me to get internet time so please be patient. I do read them all it just takes very long for pages to update so I couldn’t respond to them. I will try and figure out a way to reply. Please know that I do read and appreciate each comment. Feel free to let me know what you would like to “see”.

9 Comments:

At May 27, 2005 3:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I can just imagine the look on your face when you were trying to figure out the rain situation. "What IS that noise and WHERE is it coming from?" I would have closed the drapes as well, but then I would have hid under anything that wasn't wood to get away from the termites. But not Jason Teixeira, oh no, Jason would walk amongst the bugs because he has to get to the bottom of the situation at hand. The curiosity gets the better of you everytime. I love how you are so facinated by things, and take the time to figure things out. Have fun in the feild for the next 10 days, and we will all be anxiously awaiting your next post.
Love Erin

 
At May 27, 2005 5:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUCK!!!!!
I would have died from the shock. There is no way in H E double hockey sticks that you would have gotten me to go outside. I picture you pulling the drapes shut and standing with your back flat against the wall, arms pasted there as well with your eyes bugged out, until you figure out what your next move should be. It has left me very itchy and at the same time has provided me with a laugh. Laughing because it is you and not me!
And about your apology, I know that I don't expect a reply and I'm sure no one else does either. I appreciate you sharing your stories in the little spare time you have. Keep up the good work!
Lots of love and God Bless,
Aunt Pam

 
At May 27, 2005 7:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello again , Harry and I are at your home we brought over a pizzato share with Erin.After reading your last entry I'm not sure if Iwill be able to eat .hahaha!I read Pam's cmments and she took the words right out of my mouth.Sounds like you are enjoying your experiences so far.Stay safe God Bless ,Love Wendyxoxoxo

 
At May 28, 2005 3:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA

Jason, the termites are watching you, always :)

Sounds like you're doing great Jay, love reading your blog.

 
At May 30, 2005 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason - you are insane and brave all in one!!! Just reading your note gives me the hebiejebies!! I would have been freaking out and thanking God over and over again that the building you were staying in was tin and not wood!!!!!

Diane

 
At May 30, 2005 11:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sick and Wrong! I don't know how you were able to go out there with all those bugs.Ughh! But then again, it is you that we are talking about! Only you!
It's obvious that you are enjoying you're time there. I have a question though... what do the people (kids/teenagers/adults) do for fun? Do people hang around after night falls or is it like when we were kids and when the street lights came on it was time to go home? Cause I am assuming that there aren't street lights or atleast not very many... so getting around may be a bit more difficult. (And if this is the case... Webster street was good practice.. bumpy/unpaved roads, no street lights, well water... everything happens for a reason!..)
I hope you are taking lots of pictures.. Erin showed me a couple that were amazing, and I'm just imagining the hundreds more that you already have... I can't wait!
Okay, Take care and God bless on your explorations!
Laura

 
At June 01, 2005 8:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

Glad to see you are doing fine. Your blog is excellent, keep up the good work! Here, progress with thesis is painfully slow, but I can now see light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck and God speed.

 
At June 02, 2005 10:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason,

I've been reading your blog from the very beginning. Erin always lets me know when you have posted a new entry so that I quickly get to my computer to take in your new adventures.

You write very well which makes us all (I assume) feel like we're really "seeing" your adventures. I've laughed; been amazed, and disgusted (mmm bugs) and even had a few watery eyed moments for some of your comments about being away from Erin (Which of course I know what you two are going through).

Aside from being on crse in Borden right now, I'm watching out for that wife of yours. We still havn't had the chance to go out for Gelato, but when we do, we'll think of you in all that heat and wish we could send you one! :-)

Take care Jason, and keep writing. I wish more than ever that I will get an opportunity to see half of what you're experiencing now.

Kim

 
At June 07, 2005 6:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Love,

Just read all of your entries and I am amazed at what you have seen so far. I am waiting patienly for more! You just called Erin while we were typing this note, so I will let you carry on and I will talk to you later.
Take Care and God Bless
Love Nanny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home